How to calculate the median of a DataFrame column or a Vector in R? The median() is a base function in R that is used to calculate the median of a Vector. The median of a dataset is the value that, assuming the dataset is ordered from smallest to largest, falls in the middle. If there are an even number of values in a dataset, the middle two values are the median.
This function accepts a vector as input and returns the median as a numeric value.
1. Syntax of median()
The following is the syntax of the median() function that calculates the median value.
# Syntax of median median(x, na.rm = FALSE, …)
- x – It is an input vector of type Numeric
- na.rm – Defaults to FALSE. When TRUE, it ignores NA value.
2. R Median of DataFrame Column
By using R base function median() let’s calculate the median value of the DataFrame column. The following example demonstrates getting median with and with out NA values on a column.
# Create Data Frame df <- data.frame(id=c(11,25,50,42,55), price=c(144,NA,321,567,567)) df # Calculate median of DataFrame column res <- median(df$id) res
Yields below output.
Calculating the median on a column that has
NA values results in NA, you need to ignore the NA to get the right result. Let’s calculate the median on the column that has NA values by using the
na.rm param to ignore NA values. On our DataFrame, we have a column
price that has NA values.
# with NA res <- median(df$price, na.rm=TRUE) res # Output #  444
3. R Median of Vector
Similarly, let’s also calculate the median from the values of Vector. The following examples demonstrate calculating the median when you have an even count and odd count of vector and also when you have NA values.
# Calculate median of Vector vec = c(6,7,8) median(vec) # Output #  7 # Calculate mean of Vector vec = c(6,7,8, 9) median(vec, na.rm=TRUE) # Output #  7.5 # Calculate mean of Vector vec = c(10,11,6,7,8,9, NA) median(vec, na.rm=TRUE) # Output #  8.5
In this article, you have learned what is median value and how to get it in R. Also learned how to calculate the median of a DataFrame column and Vector.
- R Group by Mean With Examples
- R mean() with Examples
- R Summarise on Group By in Dplyr
- R Group by Sum With Examples
- mode() Function in R
- Select Rows based on Column Value in R
- R head() & tail() Functions
- R with() and within() Functions
- Calculate Statistical mode in R
- Sparklyr Sort DataFrame with Examples
- Filter in sparklyr | R Interface to Spark
- Sparklyr join explained with examples
- Explained apply Functions in R with Examples
- R Count Frequency of All Unique Values in Vector